Ways to Prevent Work-related Eye Injuries
Prevent Blindness (www.preventblindness.org) recommends the following 10 measures to preventing eye injuries at work:
1. Assess: Inspect all work areas, access routes and equipment for eye hazards. Study eye accident and injury reports.
2. Test: Uncorrected vision problems can cause accidents. Include vision testing in employee physical exams.
3. Protect: Select protective eyewear that is designed for the specific duty or hazard. Protective eyewear must comply with OSHA standards.
4. Participate: Create a 100% mandatory program for eye protection. A broad program is more effective than one that limits eye protection to certain departments, areas or jobs.
5. Fit: Have protective eyewear fitted by an eye care professional or someone trained to do this. Provide repairs for eyewear. Require employees to be responsible for their own gear.
6. Prepare: Have an emergency response plan, including eyewash stations, and provide training in basic and advanced first aid.
7. Educate: Conduct ongoing eye safety awareness programs and include related information in employee orientation programs.
Share on Socials!
Sign up to receive our industry publications for FREE!