OSHA lassos Bull Stud Facility for Exposing Workers to Harmful Chemicals

An employee death at a bull stud facility triggered an inspection by OSHA and a proposed penalty of $122,602.

On Nov. 20, 2019, 20-year-old employee of Custom Genetic Solutions died at the Mitchell facility from asphyxiation after being exposed to liquid nitrogen, according to The Daily Republic, Mitchell, S.D.

Inspectors found employees filled containers daily and cryogenic freezers weekly with liquid nitrogen. OSHA determined the company failed to implement safety measures, such as oxygen monitoring or ventilation to ensure the rapidly expanding liquid nitrogen did not displace the oxygen in the room.

The company also allegedly failed to train employees on potential health and physical hazards from working with nitrogen gas, and on how to detect the accumulation and release of the gas in freezers weekly. And OSHA cited Custom Genetic Solutions for failing to properly train its employees on the risks of working with the material or how to detect levels of the gas in a room.

Share on Socials!

Related Articles

Related Articles

OSHA issues guidance to ensure uniform enforcement of respirable crystalline silica standards

Earlier this summer, OSHA issued a compliance directive designed to ensure uniformity in inspection and enforcement procedures when addressing respirable crystalline silica exposures in general industry, ...
Read More

CleanSpace Respirators invite you to visit us at A+A Trade Fair, 26-29 October, 2021 – Dusseldorf, Germany

CleanSpace is very excited to be exhibiting at A+A, the largest international trade forum for safety, security and health at work. CleanSpace will be show-casing all of our ...
Read More

How To Choose Chemical Personal Protective Equipment

Dan Coconate, Contributor photo courtesy of TG Technical Services If you’re someone who regularly works around dangerous substances, you should know how to choose the right ...
Read More